"Ready to drive? Getting a driving licence is your first big step. In this article, we'll walk you through how to apply for a driving licence in India. It's easier than you think! We'll cover everything from filling out the form to what documents you need.
Whether it's your first time or you need to renew your licence, we've got you covered. Let's get started on the road to getting your driving licence!"
|Driving Licence Apply
|Driving Licence Status
|DL Application Fees
|DL Slot Booking
|Apply Permanent DL
|Apply DL (Uttar Pradesh)
|Apply DL (Bihar)
|Apply DL (Delhi)
|Apply DL (Madhya Pradesh)
|Apply DL (Rajasthan)
Applying for a Driving Licence: A Simple Step-by-Step Guide
The journey to acquire a permanent driving licence starts with obtaining a learning licence. Follow the steps below to apply online:
- Visit https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/.
- Click "More" under Drivers/Learner License.
- Select your state and click "Apply For Learner Licence."
- Review the Application Submission Instructions, then click 'Continue
- Opt for "Submit Via Aadhaar Authentication."
- Enter Aadhaar number, generate OTP, authenticate, and click "Proceed."
- Fill in additional details like qualifications, blood group, email ID, and mobile number.
- Click on the yellow "Self Declaration (Form 1)," answer health-related questions, and click "Submit."
Upload the required documents, make the driving licence application payment, and then submit your application.
Now, complete your Learner Licence Test by following these steps.
- Access the Online LL Test: Click on "Online LL Test (STAL) on sarathi portal".
- Enter Application Details: Input your application number and the displayed captcha code. Then, click “Submit.”
- Complete the LL Test: Follow the instructions to complete your LL test.
Download/Print your Licence:
- Immediately After Test: If successful, your driving licence should be displayed on the screen. You can download or print it directly.
- If Not Immediately Available: In case the print option isn't available right away, wait for 24–48 hours and try again. This is applicable for successful candidates.
Applying for a Permanent Licence
To apply for a permanent driving licence, you must wait for at least 30 days after receiving your learning licence. Follow these steps to apply online:
- Revisit the Sarathi portal and select your state.
- Navigate to the "Apply for Driving Licence" option and fill in the application form.
- Upload the necessary documents, including your learning licence.
- Book a slot for the driving test.
- Pay the application fee online and verify the payment status.
After clearing the driving test, your permanent driving licence will be sent to your registered address via speed post. It's typically delivered within seven working days.
Types of Driving Licences
Before you jump into the application process, it's crucial to understand the different types of driving licernces available in India.
- Learning Licence: This is a temporary licence that validates your eligibility to learn to drive on Indian roads. It's valid for six months.
- Permanent Driving Licence: Issued to drivers who have mastered driving skills and successfully cleared the driving test. This licence is valid for 20 years or until the holder turns 50, whichever comes first.
- Commercial Driving Licence: If you intend to drive transport vehicles or ferry passengers for commercial purposes, you'll need a commercial driving licence.
- International Driving Permit: An International Driving Permit is required for driving in foreign lands.
Driving Licence Fees
The following are the fee details for a driving licence:
|Approximate Cost (INR)
|Learner's License Application
|Driving Test Fee for Learner's License
|Permanent Driving License Application
|Driving Test Fee for Permanent License
|Smart Card Fee
|International Driving Permit
|License Renewal Fee
|Duplicate License Fee
FAQs Related To Driving Licence
Apply online through the Sarathi platform or at your local RTO. Fill out the form, submit the necessary documents, and pay the fee.
Key documents include proof of identity (like an Aadhaar card or passport), address proof (utility bill or passport), passport-sized photos, age proof (birth certificate or PAN card), the application form, learner's licence if applicable, a medical certificate for some instances, and Form 1 for self-declaration of physical fitness and mental stability.
After passing the driving test, it usually takes about 2-3 weeks to receive your driving license.
A driving license in India is typically valid for 20 years or until the holder reaches the age of 50, whichever is earlier. After that, it needs to be renewed every 5 years.
You must be at least 18 years old for geared vehicles (16 for non-geared), have passed the 8th class, and possess knowledge of traffic rules. Mental fitness is also required.